Creating a culture of sustainability in your business or a habit of recycling at home doesn’t need to be overwhelming! As Celine DeCarlo, the Director of Social and Environmental Affairs for Mara Hoffman – mentioned at the LIM Fashion and Sustainability summit start with the small things like turning off the lights and recycling. These small changes have a large impact.
Ever since I was little, walks on the beach with my dad always ended in the picking up a few pieces of trash that had been left behind by other beach goers. To this day, I can’t walk on the beach without picking up a few things to toss away. If everyone participated in this small act, imagine the impact on our oceans and beaches.
Did you know…
- Plastic bags and other plastic garbage thrown into the ocean kill as many as 1,000,000 sea creatures every year!
- An aluminum can
that is thrown away will still be a can 500 years from now!
- Recycling 1 aluminum can saves enough energy to run a TV for 3 hours
- Once an aluminum can is recycled, it can be a part of a new can within six weeks.
- Making a glass bottle
from recycled glass causes 20% less air pollution and 50% less water pollution
than when a new bottle is made.
- The energy saved from recycling one glass bottle can run a 100-watt light bulb for four hours.
- Hershey Kiss foil wrappers are recyclable!
If we all do our part we will leave a healthy planet for future generations. I can’t think of a better way to celebrate Earth Day!